Subject: Re: [Leica] old fashioned?
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 14:00:55 -0500

Brougham <brougham3@yahoo.com> wrote;

>How was that disparaging?

This is a question about the belief in "progress."  I am sympathetic to
itt in limited situations, but not with respect to everything. Not
everybody differentiates. From the tone of her voice and puzzled
expression I'd say the individual in question on Saturday was a true
believer.

Like I am sure most of you, the results are all that really matter to
me. An exception is the extent that first impressions can affect my
income. The corporate bean counters who tend to hire me are always
looking for a way to cut costs. One way is to not hire a professional
when they need photography, and instead have the intern take pictures
with a "modern" digital camera which "must be wonderful because it's
brand new and cost $500" or even disposable cameras. While they usually
regret the decision  after they get the results, by then it's too late
either for their pictures or my pocket book. These kind of people often
seem very concerned about the equipment. They think the reason that
professional's pictures are better is because we have better cameras and
that when they hire a pro that's really the benefit they are getting for
their dollars. What they haven't figured out is that what a photographer
really does for them is bring his or her experience, not just a snazzy
camera.

Simon Stevens