Subject: [Leica] Re: [leica] New M2 Owner Questions
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 15:09:55 -0500

Dear Jason,

Congratulations on the M2!

>* 35mm Lens Options -- Used or Voightlannder?
>I am thinking of starting with a 35mm lens for awhile, and a new Leica
lens is not in my budget. Should I look for a used one >on Ebay or get a
new Voightlander with a adapter mount? If I get a used one, which should
I look for or avoid?

I don't have the Voigtlaender 35mm, so I can't comment on it except to
say that I do have a Heliar and optically it's very nice. I'd expect
that the 35mm, like the heliar, is good but maybe not as mechanically
well made as a Leica lens.

Right now I have the Leica 35mm f2 aspheric which is the current lens.
If you can stretch to this, I'd recommend it especially remembering that
it's something you only buy once. I got it new for a very nice price
from Dr. Joseph Yao right here on the LUG. One option for you also might
be to ask him nicely. He's a pleasure to buy from.

Another, as you suggest, is to get a used Leica - I presume a Summicron
because of your price concern. Before I got the asph I had the
M2-vintage Summicron (the chrome one without the eyes). I sold it on the
LUG, but as I have discussed with the buyer (Hi Kim!) except for the
results at at full aperture and a tad more tendency to flare, I haven't
seen a huge difference between it and the current asph . I consider this
pretty impressive given the age of the lens and it makes for a very good
price/performance ratio. Expect to pay about $700-800, depending on
cosmetic condition and on whether or not it comes with a hood (which you
should get). Make sure also that you check for lens haze as older Leitz
lenses can suffer from this.

Finally on the lens, probably the best bargain of all is a recent
pre-asph f2 Summicron. It's a world class lens and because a lot of
people are getting the asph, they are becoming pretty easily available.
Just be careful, however, I have seen some sellers asking more for the
pre-asph than others are asking for the asph used! As with any Leica, if
you are willing to sacrifice a little on the cosmetic condition, you can
also save quite a bit.

>* Meters
>I am looking at getting a small incident meter (maybe with a reflected
option). My goals would be small, accurate, and inexpensive.

Check out the Sekonic Twinmate:.
http://www.sekonic.com/Products/prodinfo.html  Last time I looked, B&H
was asking $149. I have gotta get one of these myself!

>Straps

Not very retro looking, but I'd recommend you get an Op Tech strap. Non
slip and comfy!

Simon Stevens