Subject: [Leica] Re: digilux 4.3 v. finepix 4700: zeiss lens?
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 08:03:14 -0800

At 09:56 AM 12/11/00 -0500, Dan Post wrote:

>I here about these super high rez 24 squillion lp.mm lenses they use to make
>all these 1.5 gig prosessor chips, and wonder if any of this amazing
>technology might spill over to the film cameras, and if the resolution is
>wasted on CCD devices.
>
>Dan ( asking a lot of question for so early in the morning) Post

The difference between a Zeiss, Leica, Fuji, Minolta, Olympus, whatever
lens on a Digilux, or any consumer digital camera for that matter, will not
be in any way discernable. The 4.3v and 4700 are not the number of
megapixels. These cameras have, just like all of the others, somewhere
around 2.7 real megapixels. Divided by four, of course, because each pixel
has a filter over it. For each four pixels, there is one red,  one blue,
and two green pixels. So a 2 megapixel sensor really only has 500k full
color pixels. This is also why some of the new (very expensive) cameras
have three sensors and a light splitting prism (Foveon) and why most hi res
backs for LF cameras (BetterLight) have a very hi res single line of pixels
and scan the image three or four times. Subject can't move. Exposure time
from high seconds to many minutes.

They no longer use those high rez 24 squillion lp.mm lenses for making
chips. It is all done via computer files and computer driven process
equipment. Those lenses were super super sharp only at one wave length of
light, somewhere in the green spectrum, so totally unusable for photography.

Jim

Message from "Wilber Jeffcoat" <wilber@jeffcoatphotography.com> (Re: [Leica] digilux 4.3 v. finepix 4700: zeiss lens?)