Subject: Re: [Leica] Auction results
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 12:38:55 -0500

Dante-
At the risk of ticking you off! Let me say that even though I love Leicas,
and enjoy the marque for many reasons, I have used other cameras, and have
gotten good results, awards, kudos and derisive laughter all with other
brands- so I am still firmly convinced the photographer is the real secret
behind a good photograph.
Erwin has many times demonstrated that the Leica glass is about the best for
accurately recording an image, but if the photographer there when the image
happens is not using a Leica- it still doesn't mean the image is not goign
to be a 'winner'! It may, or may not have been a better image if the
photographer used a Leica, but we don't know. He may be like me, uxe a film
like Tri-x with grain like oatmeal, and a slow shutter speed, and the
resulting resolution might be the same as if I used a lens hand ground from
the bottom of a Lagavulin bottle!
Too bad Tina is not on the list- she does use Leica, and to amazingly good
effect! However- if she were hard press and bandidos made off with her Leica
kit, I bet you dollars to donuts that she could take a Canon, and a f1.2
lens, and with a little bit of skill, of which she is endowed, still make
eyecatching and stunning shots that when seen on the web would be
indistinguishable from what she normally does! Heck, the front of the Canon
might not even fall off into the mud!
The fact that she uses Leica means only two things to me-
One, she must feel comfortable with the tool, and knows how to use it. I
know some people who can take the finest cabinet chisel and do nothing more
than destroy a piece of wood. I remember as a child watching old Mr.
Laughridge, who had just broken a hammer handle- take a billet of hickory,
and after roughing out a new handle with his pocket knife, proceeded to
finish and smooth it with a piece of broken glass! Voila! Back to work!
Two- I reckon she uses Leica because she likes to Schmooze with the likes of
us, and enjoys the camaraderie since she lives in such a backwater place
as-<GULP> South Carolina!!!

Normally, I seem to identify more with Erwins 'black sheep' brother, Hubert-
but this time I think Erwin, in his roundabout way, is absolutely right!
It'll be interesting to see!

Dan (Thinking of putting a red alligator grain cover on a black painted
IIIc!!) Post

NB - as Fernando used to say,"It's more important to LOOK good, than to FEEL
good!"