Subject: [Leica] [LEICA] Controlling flash using R7 in program mode
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 21:32:01 -0800 (PST)

Dear All,

Although I have the manual for the camera, I'm still not completely
clear on how the R7 works with TTL flash in program mode. It seems to
depend on a number of factors as to whether it uses fill flash, flash
as the prime source of no flash. I'm hoping someone can shed some light
(no pun intended :-) on a strange result I had, the other day, under
the following conditions:

Camera: R7 in Program mode, hand-held, shutter speed set to 1/30 sec.
Fim speed: 400 ISO
Lens: 60mm Elamrit macro, focused at about eight feet, set to min.
aperture as advised for program mode.
Flash: Metz 32 Z-2 with SCA-351, set to TTL mode, in hot shoe and
angled upwards for bounce-flash.
Location and lighting: indoors at noon, reasonably bright but no direct
sunlight.
Subject: family members sitting on a sofa.

I didn't notice what aperture the camera predicted in the viewfinder or
whether the three parallel bars for fill flash were lit (should have
done). The resulting picture was correctly exposed but blurred. I
noticed at the time that the shutter speed was slow and thought this
possibly indicated that I was getting fill-flash; so, for the next
shot, I set the camera to aperture priority auto (with integral full
field metering, not selective), aperture f/2.8, and that one turned out
perfectly OK - corerctly exposed and sharp.

My questions are:

1. What should I do differently, in future, to avoid such a result in
Program mode or would it be better always to use aperture priority for
TTL flash when I need the flash to be the sole light source?

2. Is the blurred photo, as I suspect, the result of the camera
deciding to five me fill flash, causing hand-shake to blur the photo,
as opposed to using the flash as the prime light source?

Thanks in advance for any hints.

Regards,

=====
Ray