Subject: Re: [Leica] Split-offs
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 19:37:12 -0800 (PST)

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> I agree with this completely and feel it is VERY important.
> These are split offs and they are nasty.

Not intended to be, Mark. Sorry if it seemed that way.

> We need all the Leica discussion on the LUG possible.
> We have fun with our off topic threads but the on topic threads are
why we are here.
> And we are here to talk about Leica cameras.
>
> When the LEG was created it was a nasty deal and talking about it as
if it were
> some kind of logical conclusion to some technical problem is
disingenuous. It
> was about personal hostilities, nothing more, nothing less.

I've gathered it was something like that.

> Enthusiasts? Baloney!!
> When their threads dry up they visit here as if they are our friends
from the
> other side of the hill.
> They have weakened this list.

As I replied to Nathan, I hope this doesn't happen. The creation of the
LEG was completely different, as far as I can tell, offering an
alternative to the LUG. The R groups are not meant to do that; if
anything, they should supplement the LUG.

> The idea here being proposed about an SLR list doesn't seem to be
based on
> personal stuff that i can tell.

Agreed. I'm glad you see it that way.

> It's just a tad simple… will draw discussions away form the LUG; will

effect us negatively.

I hope not. I believe the LUG will still be attractive to its members -
like it is to me. The kind of discussions that arise on the other lists
are vey different, please see for yourself. The LUG has its own unique
flavour.

> Discussing a Split-off is rude.

It's not meant to be but I can see how some might think so: "Who's this
Ray Moth character? He's only been on the LUG for a few weeks and he's
already trying to damage it. Not only that, but he's got the bl**dy
nerve to use the LUG as the medium for doing so!"

> Say: "I've started a new list; you guys are idiots; blah blah blah
good-by!!"

Who said anything like that? Not I! I hope you're not taking this the
wrong way.

> and that should be the last we here from you or your damn list.
> Our main thrust here is M but R and LTM and R threads have never been

questioned.
> "Pander elsewhere!" i say.
> It really pisses me off when people refer to us as the LUG/LEG;
> as if we are two compatible mutually beneficial cohabiting lists.
> The LEG break off was not a positive thing for the LUG. How could it
be...
> unless all the intolerant a##holes all quit us for them
> no such luck!!

Hey, I don't really want them on my list either but, if they like it,
they're welcome to join!

> mark rabiner
> :)

Noted! :) to you too.

> Department Of Redundancy Department

I could draw a parallel with the Olympus Mailing List, which has
survived and is currently growing, despite a 'split-off' created
especially for Olympus Pen users who felt they needed it.

Anyway, I'm not planning to reply to any more comments about
split-offs, although I'll read them with interest. People need to have
their say without my trying to tell them they're wrong, they've
misinterpreted, blah blah blah. :-)

Regards,

=====
Ray