Subject: Re: [Leica] 35/1.4 PRE-ASPH vs 35/2 PRE-ASPH
From: David Prakel <dprakel@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 08:08:28 -0500

on 7/12/00 3:01 am, in reply to Jem Kime Ira Silverman at
owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us wrote:

> I bought my first Leica, an M4, when I was working my way through college as
> a camera salesman. I placed an order for the camera with the 35 f/1.4
> Summilux.  A few weeks later, I received a phone call at my college dorm from
> a Leitz representative who wanted to discuss my choice of lens, as he had
> correctly assumed that the Summilux would be used as a "normal" lens.  In
> his, and Leitz' opinion, unless I really needed the speed and could accept
> the particular (curved field} characteristics of the Summilux, I would be
> much happier with the f/2 'cron.  I took his advice and never regretted the
> decision.

The exact advice I was given in 1984 by the Leitz rep at Fox Talbot in the
Strand London. Don't buy the Lux because it is soft. I'm afraid I ignored
the advice, bought the 35mm 1.4 and never regretted the decision either!

- --
David Prakel

dprakel@rochester.rr.com

seeing double
photo exhibition currently showing at the Community Darkroom Rochester, NY
and at http://home.rochester.rr.com/prakel/exhibition/gallery.htm
where incidentally you can see evidence of the 'inadequacies' of the
pre-ASPH 35mm Summilux f1.4.