Subject: [Leica] RE: WTB: Negative carrier for Valoy II
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 13:09:55 -0600

Martin

>>I just picked up a Leitz Valoy II dirt cheap, but it doesn't have a
negative
carrier.  Hence the price.  So, does anyone have or know where I can get a
negative carrier for the Valoy II?  (BTW -- it's the same one as for the
Leitz Focomat Ia-Ic).<<

Pro Photo in Portland had a neg carrier for a Focomat/Valloy when I was in
there last week. Don't have their number, but I think they have a web site.
Ironically, it wasn't in the box with all the other carriers (Omega,
Bressler). They had it in the display case with all the Leica stuff. And it
was priced accordingly. $100, I think.

Another hard-to-come-by option for the Valloy is the lens extension tube,
which you'll need if you want to print smaller than 6x9. There's not much
extension range in helical focusing mechanim, so you need the tube (with any
lens, not just with a Focotar)in order to print small. Another nice-to-have
item is the anti-newton glass ring that fits between condensor and neg. I
had a machinist make me an extension tube, for $25. He said he could make
another neg carrier, as I didn't want to file mine out. Can't remember how
much, but it seemed less than $100. He said he'd use brass and annodize it
black.

I have a Focomat 1c and a Valloy. The carriers are interchangable but not
identical. If you want to go the machinist route let me know. I'll send a
jpg and/or the specs. You may be able to find someone who can make one out
of brass or aluminum. Perhaps not exactly like the original (which have some
alignment posts you don't need). But any flat peice of metal with a
rectangular hole in the center would work. Heck, I suppose you could buy an
aluminum D2 carrier for 35mm and cut it with a hack saw to make it fit.
You'd have two halfs, so even if you messed up on one, you'd get a second
shot. I'm not joking. I think this would work. The Valloy is worth it, IMHO.
It's a great enlarger. And who cares what the carrier looks like, as long as
it works. After all, a neg carrier is not IIIf science (I was going to say
rocket science, but everyone knows a SM Leica body is more complex than a
Saturn 5)

Dave