Subject: [Leica] minox/Leica IIIf
From: Summicron1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 10:24:56 EST

this is a question that comes up often on the submini chat list.

The earlier (until the latter part of the run of the Minox B) Minox cameras
did indeed have a curved film plane and a curved pressure plate. The curve is
very slight but noticable. This is to adjust for a slight curvature of the
lens and, thus, allow for sharper negatives. As a user of these cameras I can
testify that it works -- the negatives are wonderfully sharp.

Some of the Minox enlargers also have a curved film plane, but this is in no
way related to the camera. The two are totally independent optical systems.
It is, again, to allow for a slight curvature of the  Minox enlarger lens --
in otherwords, it is correcting for an uncorrected fault in the enlarger lens
so that the wonderfully sharp negative stays sharp in the final print. They
can do this because the Minox enlarger lens is not removable -- it is fixed
to the enlarger and not meant to be changed.

Does the curve in the camera and enlarger mean they were cheap lenses? No, it
only means that they are so small, and manufacturing methods in 1937 were so
difficult, that this was an easy way to make the final print sharp. The
modern Minox cameras have flat field lenses.

WHAT THIS MEANS IS -- Once you shoot film in any minox camera, whether it has
a flat film plane (the new ones do) or a curved one, you can make wonderfully
sharp prints in any enlarger because the negatives are already wonderfully
sharp. I print wonderfully sharp 5 by 7 prints (I use Ilford Delta 100) using
a Focomat Ic with a Nikor enlarging lens and the results are
indestinguishable from prints shot with a 35 mm camera, say, such as a Leica.

So, if this is the only reason you have not used a Minox, you may now
proceed. WWW.subclub.org has sources of film for reloading cassettes and all
kinds of helpful advice. www.minoxlab.com can sell you any of several new
cameras, from the Minox IIIf/Leica (may be back ordered) for $400 to several
other models of varying price up to $1000 for a TLX (highly recommended).
Film and processing are also available from them and are rated very highly by
the very fussy members of the submini chat group.

I might add, I have a Minox/Leica IIIf as well as a couple of Minox Bs. It is
somewhat limited, having only one shutter speed and f-stop (1/250@f 5.6) but
is very good for outdoor shooting and I have been extremely impressed with
the prints I have made from it. Extremely sharp.

if you have any further questions please feel free to contact me off-line as
this isn't really a Leica topic.

charlie trentelman, aka summicron1@aol.com

ogden
utah