Subject: RE: [Leica] Country of origin
From: "Lee, Jonathan" <Jonathan.Lee@hrcc.on.ca>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 11:59:19 -0500

Let me give you my experience with my Leica country of origin experience,
albeit with a Leica microscope.  I have a Leitz scope, circa 1965, made in
West Germany probably by the same cohort of workers who were making Leica
Ms.  Mechanically it still functions fantastically and flawlessly.
Engineering and assembly is absolutely first rate and it has needed nothing
but routine cleaning and lubrication in the 6 years that I have used it. I
also have a new Leica DM-1L scope.  While nominally a Leica, this scope is
manufactured and assembled in China  by Leica Microsystems, now a different
company than Leica camera.  The electrical system failed within two weeks of
operation.  After that was fixed, the microscope mechanically failed in the
following 1 month.  The 1.5 year-old replacement works fine but lacks the
tactile precision of its 35-year old counterpart.

Even Leica is embarrassed by having a China operation.  The German optics
are proudly engraved with "Made in Germany", but the China manufactured
microscope has a cheap sticker 5mm long hidden in an obscure spot indicating
its country of origin.

I agree with Ted and the others who say that taking photos is our first
concern. But it is not our only one.  Country of origin does matter to a
point.  If M6 assembly moved to China, I would predict that the camera would
have the same problems as my microscope.

Jonathan Lee