Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Country of Manufacture
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 06:55:49 -0500

I accept the fact that you don't agree that certain cameras should be kept
in glass cages, but would you go out of your way to seek out these cameras
(identified to you by collectors), just so that you can use them?  Why?  If
you saw an Ur-Leica at a backyard garage sale, would you buy it just so
that you could post something to the LUG like, "Guess what guys, I bought
the 3rd known copy of an Ur-Leica for 25 bucks (Barnack's fingerprints are
still visible on it), and the first thing I did with it was drop it on the
pavement three times.  You should see the beautiful dents I put in it!".  I
don't know if you would do this, but I think there are some LUGers who
would.

My whole point is that people can do what they want with their cameras.  If
someone has a rare, valuable camera, they have every right to put it in a
glass cage and admire it from afar.  And they have every right to refuse to
sell it to someone who (whom?) they think will end up using it and possibly
destroying it.  I don't understand how someone can't accept that, but it
seems there are people who would like nothing better than to get their
hands on such a camera and purposely use it just for the sake of converting
a previously clean museum quality camera into a brassed and dented "user"
camera.   Why would a non-collector seek out these weird cameras?  The one
that Mark mentioned had a non-standard frame size.  Where would you get
slide mounts for it?  Why on earth would you even WANT such a camera, at
any price (unless you collected them)?  There are thousands of decent M4-2s
out there.  If you need a camera, just buy one of them and use it; leave
the rare ones to the collectors.

This reminds me of that scene from  "The Magic Christian" where the
character played by Peter Sellers buys a Rembrandt painting from John
Cleese, only to cut the nose out of the painting and leave the rest behind.

Dan C.