Subject: [Leica] Re: Country of Manufacture
From: sam <salex@idt.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 09:36:25 -0500

It seems to me that, at very least, it USED to matter where something was
made.
What about the legendary  "German craftsmanship"? The Porsche 356 engine
block stamped with
mark of the assembler. . .The manufacturing quality of my first BMW (2002 in
1969) was
plain to see in the connections, the wiring, etc. - especially when compared
to most
US cars at that time. Was all this a marketing myth? When I bought my first
Leica
(M2 in 1965), I was convinced that the people in Germany who built the
camera
were above average in skill (the thorough apprentice system, etc.), and they
produced a
superior product. (I bought the M2 because it was highly recommended by
several
working professionals I hired while art director at a jazz record co. in the
60's).
Today's global economy has certainly changed everything in that respect, and
it really doesn't matter where something is made.

sam