Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Country of Manufacture
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 16:55:34 -0500

At 12:53 PM 11/28/2000 -0800, Stephen Gandy wrote:

>The strangest thing about Ted and Sal's post is that they seem to be
extremely biased
>AGAINST gaining knowledge about Leica, if we as consumers dare to wonder
how much of
>the "made in Germany" really is made in Germany.  Ironically  Ted in past has
>considered  the wonders of his underwear an appropriate  LUG topic, but
yet today he
>gets upset of if anyone dare asks where Leicas are manufactured, or who
does the
>subassembly.

Ah, Stephen -- no one is attempting to limit discussion or analysis, as
Gore is attempting to do in Florida <grin!  Respond off-line and NOT on the
LUG, please!>  Ted is merely stating that the origin of items doesn't
matter.  You and I have battled this for many years, with your position
being that origin in the Orient ought not matter a bit, and, now, Ted says
that origin in Portugal ought not matter.

Where is the difference?

(My objection to buying Oriental has to do with general trade policies and
the screwing of Western producers which the governments of the US and
Europe have encouraged over the years, not of the qualities of the items.
Plus, I have a couple of friends who were Bataan Death March survivors.
This, if naught else, means that I will not buy Japanese when another
option is available.  These guys suffered for my freedom -- this is the
least honor I can pay them.  My mother is MUCH more pronounced in her
attitudes, by the way!)

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!