Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 Viewfinders
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 09:29:24 -0700

Steve Tom wrote:

> Question #1:  Can't figure out whether I should get the .72 or .85
> viewfinder.

If I could only have one M-camera, I'd get it with the 0.72 finder
because the 50 and 35mm framelines are so handy and the 90 isn't too
bad; with the 0.85x finder, the 35mm lines are marginal, particularly if
you wear glasses.

> Question #2:  This may seem silly but are all of the new M6's made in
> Germany or are some made in Portugal?

Final assembly happens in Germany (all M6es say "Made In Germany"), but
Leica sources parts and assembles from other countries as well, and some
have suggested that a good deal of the M6 manufacturing happens in
Portugal.

As for the Canadian Ms, I think the M4-2 and M4-P were a case of "too
much obvious cost-cutting implemented all at once" compared to the M4
but they're good cameras in their own right (okay, the film speed plate
is a joke) I don't think either one is a real bargain right now: I'm
seeing better deals overall on M6 "classics" and M3s.

Jeff Segawa
NO ARCHIVe