Subject: [Leica] Standing on the Precipice/Filters
From: Thomas Donovan <75674.3465@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 21:26:08 -0500

Fellow Lugnuts;

I made a serious mistake. I was going over the MSGs
on filters; looked over the precipice........& fell in ;-)!

Here's my story. I've always used filters. Then, after
reading the MSGs ; I took off my B & W ( 55E, 010, 1X )
filter & placed it on a Leica lens cap. Gadzooks!

I was amazed to notice that the indented "Leica" lost
its 3-D perspective. I.E., the filter seemed to reduce
the contrast difference *between* the lettering creating
a "flatter" plane. Leica UV filters were not as bad.

Now, I know this may not seem earth-shattering to most
of you;-) however, my questions are as follows: 1.) Is
this a fair test? 2.) Can I expect similar results re-placing
my eye with my lenses? 3.) Is this B & W filter somehow
different than a Leica UV filter?

Tom D.