Subject: [Leica] psychobabble
From: khmiska <khmiska@umich.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 08:10:52 -0500

LUGers
The recent thread concerning the comment/question “How to get
comfortable with my Leica” reminds me of so much touchy feely
psychobabble that has invaded our culture. Next thing you know, somebody
is going to suggest a shrink or some other form of counseling. For
heaven’s sake, man, put film in this beautiful camera, put on a lens,
any lens, and go out there an take photographs. Make mistakes but use
the camera. There’s only one person that any amateur photographer has to
please and that’s himself or herself. The rest of world doesn’t matter
one darn little bit.

Maybe I’m weird but I never felt uncomfortable with any of my cameras,
M2, Nikon FE and Rollei TLR. I’ve taken photographs ever since I
graduated from high school in ’53. For many years it was motor racing
here and in France. Equally many times it was the proverbial street
photography in Orleans, Paris, Chartres, Germany, Switzerland, Italy.
When I was in the army and stationed in France, I photographed
activities of our Signal Corps company that ranged from more formal
photography of my commanding officer and his family to our post’s
Christmas parties for the local children.

I’ve always enjoyed artsy type of shooting – snowflakes, bright leaves,
closeups of door handles, reflections in a puddle, people and anything
that strikes my fancy.

More recently in when traveling with my wife in Venice, we stopped to
look at some watches in a shop window when the owner came out and
remarked, “nice Leica and Rollei.” A few weeks ago I thoroughly enjoyed
strolling through central campus at the University of Michigan with my
M2 on one occasion and my Rollei on another. Nobody bothered me
including one student who was photographing himself by holding a little
disposable camera in front of his face.

All I can say to Tristan is “Don’t procrastinate. Go out there and take
pictures. Don’t pay attention to the unwashed masses. Enjoy the hell out
of your Leica.”

Gotta run. Gotta grab the old M2. There’s a little snow on the ground
and it looks pretty nice with the still green grass coming through it.

Kurt
German Business Translations

Replies: Reply from "Paul Arnold" <osprey@bmt.net> (Re: [Leica] psychobabble)