Subject: [Leica] How to get comfortable with my Leica?
From: Robert Appleby <robert.appleby@tin.it>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 23:02:58 +0100

Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 09:32:42 -0700
From: Tristan Tom <tt@tristan.net>
I am still trying to figure out how to get comfortable with
using/carrying my new M6 TTL.  On several occasions, in an effort to
do more street photography, I have carried it along on outings with
friends, only to discover that during the course of the day, I did
not even take the camera out of the camera bag. Either I didn't feel
I saw any photo opportunities, or I felt like I would be too
conspicuous with a nice expensive camera on the streets.

I'm not really at the point of being comfortable been seen taking
pictures. I guess I'm shy and even afraid to take pictures of people
in the street...
- - --

T r i s t a n  T o m - <http://tristan.net/>
<<<<<

Tristan, maybe the problem is not so much the camera as what you want to be
doing with it. I say this because I think this "street photography" thing
is vastly over-rated. But even so, the impotant thing, IMO, is to have a
photographic project or subject you're working on. Then it takes over.

I used to wander about looking for things to take pictures of and soon
found that it was a futile endeavour. Now I only ever take pictures as part
of a project of some kind I'm interested in. I don't believe - in my case,
anyway, other people may well be different - that pictures just pop up in
front of you, I think you have to have a powerful interest that motivates
you to look at or for a particular kind of thing. Even Friedlander, for
instance, one of the kings of street photography, was always working on a
particular theme, such as his own shadow, car mirror reflections, etc.

One advantage of this is that when people ask you why you're photographig
them doing somthing, you can say, well I'm really interested in
photographing half-empty beer glasses, which is what I was snapping in this
case, or whatever your theme might be. Then they'll just think you're a
loony rather than a threat. But in any case, you'll have a reason to be
taking the picture.

Just a thought.

Rob.

Replies: Reply from Nicholas Poole <nick.botton@camphill.org.uk> (Re: [Leica] How to get comfortable with my Leica?)