Subject: Re: [Leica] How to get comfortable with my Leica?
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 10:50:15 -0800

>I am still trying to figure out how to get comfortable with
>using/carrying my new M6 TTL.  On several occasions, in an effort to
>do more street photography, I have carried it along on outings with
>friends, only to discover that during the course of the day, I did
>not even take the camera out of the camera bag. Either I didn't feel
>I saw any photo opportunities, or I felt like I would be too
>conspicuous with a nice expensive camera on the streets.
>
>I'm not really at the point of being comfortable been seen taking
>pictures. I guess I'm shy and even afraid to take pictures of people
>in the street...
>
>T r i s t a n  T o m - <http://tristan.net/>

tristan,

just a few thoughts on shooting out in the street:

- - take the camera out of the bag when you've arrived at the place you want
to explore photographically and don't put it back in the bag til you're
ready to leave.
- - use a wrist strap for the camera, that way it's already in your hand and
ready to be lifted to your eye to shoot.
- - if being seen by the people in the camera's field of vision bothers you,
minimize the time you spend standing in front of them with an m6 stuck to
your forehead by:
     - scoping out the scene/area you want to work in, getting to the spot
you want to shoot from, waiting til the scene arranges itself to your
satisfaction, then lifting the camera to your eye and shooting. this will
go more quickly if you:
          - preset exposure
          - set the (wide-angle) lens to the hyperfocal distance

regarding 'photo opportunities': the only ones you get are the ones you
make for yourself. find something that interests you and shoot the hell out
of it! shoot a lot and review your negatives carefully: you'll see right
away what works for you and what doesn't. explore what does and see where
it leads you.

and don't worry about being conspicuous or about having an expensive camera
out on the street. if you exercize basic, common sense caution, you should
have no problems, particularly if you happens to be shooting in a touristy
area; there'll be so many people with cameras flying about in all
directions that you'll probably just blend in.

guy