Subject: Re: [Leica] How to get comfortable with my Leica?
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 13:31:05 -0500

At 09:32 AM 11/16/00 -0700, you wrote:

>I am still trying to figure out how to get comfortable with using/carrying
>my new M6 TTL.  On several occasions, in an effort to do more street
>photography, I have carried it along on outings with friends, only to
>discover that during the course of the day, I did not even take the camera
>out of the camera bag. Either I didn't feel I saw any photo opportunities,
>or I felt like I would be too conspicuous with a nice expensive camera on
>the streets.
>
>I'm not really at the point of being comfortable been seen taking
>pictures. I guess I'm shy and even afraid to take pictures of people in
>the street...
>--
>
>T r i s t a n  T o m - <http://tristan.net/>

Tristan -

The first step is to take it out of the bag!  Wear it on you shoulder or
neck with your jacket or coat on over it.  Have it ready to take photos
with no lens cap and the exposure pre-set.  Start out taking photos of your
friends and gradually start to include other people on the street.  It will
probably never be easy for you to take pictures of people in the street,
but the more you do it the less awkward you will feel.  Most people will
not notice that you are photographing them, will be flattered that you are
photographing them, will assume that you are photographing someone behind
them, or will ask you please not to photograph them.  In the last
case,  just smile and move on to somebody else.

Good luck and have fun!  Take lots of photos.

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com