Subject: [Leica] Re: UV filter for Noctilux
From: Curt Miller <cmiller@berkshire.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 09:11:42 -0500 (EST)

Hi Roland -

I'm thick-skinned and I'm going to stick my neck out here and tell you to
absolutely get yourself a UV filter for your Noctilux.  you're going to
get flames and guffaws from others on the list but, let me assure you one
thing: the biggest guffawers are going to be the first to chisel you down
when you go to sell that lens - if you ever do - because of coating marks.

I have owned my beloved Noctilux for years now.  I use it frequently and
love its performance.  I win a lot of competitions with images that
exploit its razor-thin DOF at f/1.  I got this lens for cheap (cheap being
a relative term) because of coating marks on the front element.  The
previous owner had fumble-futzed getting the lens cap off and had made
marks on the coating with the edge of the cap.  Now, you'll have all these
naysayers - some of whom don't even own a Noctilux - make all sorts of
claims about how only inept people will fumble-futz with the lenscap but I
can tell you that it's as simple as breathing and, if you own one, one
day, when you least expect it, you, too, will fumble-futz with the cap and
mark the coating on that great big 50+mm piece of front glass.

All that stuff aside.  I have used this lens wide open with a B+W UV (no
filter factor, clear glass) and if there is any image degredation, I sure
can't see it.  I also shoot with an 8x10 camera so my sharpness standards
are really high.  Get the UV.  Use the UV.  Keep your money in your pocket
if you ever sell it.  coating marks only hurt the seller, not the image
quality.

Curt