Subject: [Leica] Noctilux vs Summicron vs elmarit
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 06:07:10 -0800

>> in a word, it seems foolhardy to spend $3000 on a lens when there is a
>$600
>> lens that would do the same thing.
>>
>> guy

>Why do you quote the MAP price for the Noctilux and a used price for the
>Summicron?  IMHO, Noctilux' depreciate faster, and are a better buy in that
>respect.  When I was looking, the Noctilux was $1500-1800 used, the later
>Summilux (.7 m version on ) was in the $1200 range, and a recent Summicron
>was in the $600-$700 range.  So, you can get a used Noctilux for about $400
>more than a Summilux or about $800 more than a Summicron.
>
>Tom

tom,

i was referring to the elmarit, not the summicron, but your message moved
me to get my facts straigt and check out the prices of leica 50s. b&h
currently lists the following:

- - 50/1.0   2795.
- - 50/1.4   1895.(black)/1995.(chrome)
- - 50/2.0   995./1095.
- - 50/2.8   945./1095.

i was surprised to find the elmarit at $1000 - i was sure it was cheaper
than the summicron but low and behold, it ain't! it's interesting that the
2.8 and 2 lenses cost pretty much the same, the 1.4 costs about $1000.
more, the 1.0 nearly $2000. more. in the latter two cases, that's about
$1000. per stop, whereas between 2.0 and 2.8 there's only a $50. increase,
and then only in the black model.

i myself have the summicron, which is the finest 50 i've ever used. i toyed
with the idea of the elmarit at one point - compactability and all that.
but at the same price as the summicron, it seems less of a deal than i once
thought it was.

guy