Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Noctilux vs Summicron
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 06:18:58 -0800

>In a message dated 11/14/00 12:45:55 PM Eastern Standard Time, guybnt@idt.net
>writes:
>
><< in a word, it seems foolhardy to spend $3000 on a lens when there is a $600
> lens that would do the same thing.
>
> does that clear things up? >>
>
>Sure - if you can come up with a precise definition of "the same thing".
>
>Joe Sobel

joe,

in my post, this is precisely what i meant by "the same thing":

both lenses (i.e. a 50/1.0 and a 50/2.8) permit the photographer to stop
down to 5.6, 8, 11, and 16.

my point, if that was equally unclear, was the following: if you always
shoot at one of the above apertures, the 50/2.8 lens will do the trick
nicely, and for a hell of a lot less money.

now, before the impending tsunami of kneejerk responses defending a
lugger's solms'-given right to stop down to f/16 his $3000 lens
specifically designed to permit the user to get great results at f/1.0 i
humbly add:

GO FOR IT!!!

guy