Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Noctilux vs Summicron
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 09:39:43 -0800

>Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com> wrote:
>
>> It's stupid to use an f/1 lens at f/5.6 or f/8.
>
>More so than using an f/1.4 lens at f/11 or f/16?  Should I never use
>my f/2 lens at f/22?
>
>I don't understand.

let me explain it to you:

the faster the lens, the larger, heavier and more expensive it is. now,
unless you have a preference for large, heavy, expensive lenses, it would
seem counterproductive to get one if you didn't really need or wouldn't use
the extra speed.

no one is saying that you should never stop down your f/1, f/1.4, f/2 lens
to f/16, but rather that if you normally stop your lenses down (i.e. as
opposed to shooting wide open as much as possible), why not just go with
the f/2.8 lens, which would be more compact, lighter, and less expensive?

in a word, it seems foolhardy to spend $3000 on a lens when there is a $600
lens that would do the same thing.

does that clear things up?

guy

Replies: Reply from Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net> ([Leica] Noctilux vs Summicron vs elmarit)