Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux vs Summicron
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 17:17:32 -0500

     It's stupid to use an f/1 lens at f/5.6 or f/8.
     It should be a relatively simple decision, don't complicate it.
Happy Snaps,
Sal
	--> Why not add the Summilux f/1.4 Asph 35mm
	as the ultimate compromise amongst these 3 lenses ?
	(No bad intention here).

	If I was your salesperson, I'd push the 35mm f/1.4
	if but for the wonderful 35mm focal image composition
	and "feel", and, to me, more universal application ...
	Plus it's surely much easier to handle at full aperture
	for most people .

	The Noctilux is a unique "special purpose" lens:
	eXtreme low light -- with shallow depth of field at f/1.
	Buy it only if your type of photography REQUIRES
	the f/1 capability. If you go for it, I'm sure
	you'll love it, whatever other comments I may ever
	write.

	The 50mm Summicron remains a reference, but
	you'd get more mileage out of a 35mm Summicron
	as "universal" lens and am convinced most other
	photographers also would ...

	A J Q