Subject: Re: [Leica] Dan and Austin's focus war
From: Douglas Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 6 Nov 2000 07:01:29 -0800

On Sun, 05 November 2000, "David Kieltyka" wrote:

> Douglas Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com> wrote (edited):
>
> > My aging eyes worked fine again when I changed to the Leicaflex SL.
>
> I've had the same experience with the Leicaflex SL2 I bought earlier this
> year. This is likely due both to the viewfinder's brightness and to the
> particular qualities of the split-image and microprism designs. In any case
> with this camera I'm once again a confident SLR manual focuser. I should
> also note that my purchase was motivated in part by Doug's comments on the
> SL at his website. Thanks, Doug!
>
> -Dave-

What I tried to get across in an earlier post in this thread was that aging eyes don't "force" anyone to use an AF system.  It's a CHOICE, and one of the choices is a better viewfinder.  The best 35mm SLR viewfinders I know of are the ones in the Leicaflex SL and SL2, followed closely by the R8.  These are very effective alternatives to an AF system, and to top it off, with these cameras you can use Leica glass!

Clearly, neither Austin nor Dan will convince the other of his point of view.  Give it a rest, guys!

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento