Subject: [Leica] Filters part umpteen
From: Robert Appleby <robert.appleby@tin.it>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 15:28:44 +0100

Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 06:12:04 +0000
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Subject: Re: [Leica] Filters part 2
Erwin Puts wrote:
>There has been some interest in the effect of filters in degrading the
>rendition of very fine details of pictures taken in more normal and not so
>critical situations. snip
>In other situations the effect is much more subtle.

I use filters on my more expensive lenses (and sleep better). It is good to
know that the theoretical degradation is not obvious in practice. I see
little wisdom in splitting hairs over this (very personal) preference to
the use of filters on leica lenses.

Dan K.
<<<<<<<

I use filters on all my lenses because they're all expensive! And if you
take the filter off, you'll see that the lens is not just in good shape,
it's absolutely pristine. The front elements have never been cleaned or
even touched. After a year of good use, an optically brand new lens - what
more can you ask for?

I occasionally get flare, but so far, not in anything I thought worth
keeping anyway. So...

Certainly, if I had a Nictulox - which I'll buy the day Saes Getters hits
40 Euros - I'd put a filter straight on the damn thing and never take it
off. I'd even spring for a Leica filter for that one!

On the other hand, I appreciate Erwin's attempt to quantify what is, for
whatever bizzare reason, a controversial topic on this list.

Rob.