Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Greg Bicket's focus thread
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@marketingcomm.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 19:25:31 -0600

Umm all you want, but I've tried a number of autofocus systems, with high
hopes mind you, and yes, I know how to use them.  Yes, you can get these
results by dumb luck, sometimes, but the autofocus system has an angle of
view, and that angle is not necessarily very small.  They focus on the
closest thing within their view.

Would you please state what camera, what f stop, lense, and how far you
were away from the subject?

Happy to. Nikon F100. 85 mm f/1.4D Nikkor. Shooting Ecktachrome 200
or Fuji 800 (depending on available light) at f/1.4 and 1/60 second.
I'll ususally shoot that combination fairly close to the minimum
focus distance, so I'd say most shots are in the 3 to 8 foot range. I
have dozens of perfectly focused photos shot like this.

I do try to use one of the three cross-shaped sensors, which can
focus on vertical or horizontal details, rather than the two line
sensors. I've found that can make a difference in reliability of
capturing focus.