Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Walt, you are dead wrong
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 08:04:41 -0600 (CST)

Mark, Jim, etc....
I'll concede on this one....I don't see that removing the top
of an M6 is a big deal, and I will never understand why they
would change the design after 25 years, but hey, I don't have
any info to refute it....

As for the other post, adjusting the vertical (any way) shouldn't
disturb the infinity, which is an external adjustment regardless.

Mark, we had a "glued/not glued" argument years ago, and as you
saw, some are DEFINITELY glued....others, I'll admit, are not...
I don't believe that an aftermarket repairman glued them, either...
I worked on an EARLY M6 (believe it or not, it was a reps camera--
he was embarrassed by the RF displacement) in/around 1980....
it of course DID NOT have the eccentric, and was most definitely
glued....we discussed it, and he was familiar with the simplification
of the camera and the elimination of some adjustments, but not
at the component level.

I realize that we're talking 20 years ago, and trying to decide
what engineers (?) >THOUGHT<, so I accept Jims information, but
still wonder WHY.....

As for keeping folks out of the adjustment, as was expressed
a coupla years ago, I don't see it....some folks are heavy-handed,
others are extremely delicate...some owners adjusted their
cameras for years with no damage, others (repairmen?) beat the
crap out of the RF >WITH< the tool.

Bear in mind, there is NO reliable training available for Leica
repair folks in the "free market", and Leica is dependent on
independents for MOST out of warranty work....they can't do
the work they have!!!...hence, DAG, Sherry, John, etc....we HAVE
to have them if we're to keep using these cameras...and MOST of
them learned by apprenticeship/etc.....it's a VERY unrewarding
field...kinda like doing lab work for artists (!!! :) :) !!!)
The liablility alone has kept me away from any independent work,
save for my own stuff and a few friends like Mark, Stu, Will, etc.

Walt

On
Fri,
3