Subject: [Leica] re: publishing fees
From: Robert Monaghan <rmonagha@post.cis.smu.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 06:16:14 -0600 (CST)

Here is a quote from Michael Busselle, a noted author of 34 photobooks
on photography (one of which sold 500,000+ copies), travel, wine and so on:

quote:
The way things stand in the publishing industry, there's absolutely no
way I could make a living from producing books - and I've done more than
30. It just doesn't pay enough. In fact, I would say that every book I
produce now is done so at a loss to me financially. But the way I see it
is I can make a lot more money from those pictures once the book is
finished by selling them through my stock library - Tony Stone - and from
my own picture library which I run from home. One picture sold through a
stock library paid me more than the whole book did". [from p. 94-5,
Taking Pictures for Profit by Lee Frost, David and Charles Publ., Devon
UK 1996.]