Subject: [Leica] Morgans + steel framed bicycles : OT-nothing to do with L eicas...OK, just a little bit of Leica content
From: Tom Finnegan <TomF@piengr.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 08:51:49 -0800

John Collier wrote:
Would you extend the second to include fillet brazed steel? I love steel
bicycle frames but think that the recent incorporation of beer can
technology has improved the ride quality significantly. I am having a frame
made to replace the one a kind member of the proletariat recently liberated
from me. A tight (lots of pedal overlap) cyclocross frame with Columbus foco
tubing for the seat and down tubes, Reynolds 853 top tube, and curly seat
stays from I do not know where. REALLY REALLY sweet ride. I can hardly wait.
It will have track drop outs but with a derailleur hanger added so I can
switch to fixed or single speed as well. I am going STI and nine speed
(Canon and Nikon equivalents in the bicycle world) so I fear you will shun
me if we ever meet!
***********************

Fillet brazed is allowed, but tig welded may be a bit suspect. Hopefully
your bike is a nice North American build and not one of those cheap Italian
bikes like Walt's. Maybe he can save up and someday buy a real bike. I just
finished building up my fillet brazed Jeff Lyon (Grants Pass, OR) cross bike
with a mix of Suntour and Campy parts. Certainly no Shimano or STI! I even
attempted to race it on Sunday, before I had even given it a test ride. The
bike rode great, but the motor and pilot could do with alot of improvement!
After a quick change of clothes I then pulled out the M6 and R7 and shot a
couple rolls of PKR 64 and HP5+ of the following races. I need to take the
Kodachrome in today for processing, and I need to get processing the b&w as
I have about a dozen rolls waiting to be processed.

I don't know anything about Morgans. As an old roommate used to say, "never
spend more than $500 on a car or less than $2500 on your bike". I'd be lucky
if I could sell my old Subaru for $500.

Tom Finnegan
Seattle