Subject: [Leica] Re: Amateurs
From: Brougham <brougham3@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 12:22:04 -0800 (PST)

Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com> wrote:

> "who do you do most of your work for". His reply, which I have never
> forgotten, was...
>
> ... "me".

> Ever since then I put less stock on becoming a professional
> photographer (I can't imagine what I'd have to do as a photographer
> earn in a year what I get paid for a single screenplay) and much more
> on trying to take photographs that meant something to "me". Don't get
> me wrong: I am full of admiration and respect for *anyone* who can
> make it to any degree in the world of professional photography... it
> must be one of the hardest things in the world... and in particular
> anyone who can square the circle of art v.  daily bread... it's
always
> inspiring that there are so many of you on this list.

http://stats.bls.gov/oes/national/oes34023.htm

For 1998, the median annual wage for all photographers in the US was
$21k (average = $25k).  Make $31k, and that would put you in the upper
25%.  A salary of $44k would put you in the upper 10%.

As Martin and B.D. have been volleying back and forth, either you have
it or your don't or everybody has it.  The public doesn't demand
quality, and most images aren't that exclusive.  Any idiot that can
push a button on an auto-everything camera can burn through a roll of
film and get a keeper now and then.  Give F5s to a troop of monkeys,
and I bet you'll get better pictures than the prose written by the
control study pounding randomly on typewriters.  Only way to compete
with that is to be exceptionally good.

Like Johnny, I've got nothing but respect for the people who are out
there busting their butts making a living from this.  Not the easiest
job in the world.

The mere fact of using Leica equipment probably puts any pro on this
list way at the top of his or Tina's field.  According to those stats,
the median pro might have problems funding his Leica addiction.