Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital is not photography (was long - shorter but still off topic)
From: "clive sanbrook" <clive.sanbrook@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 16:21:19 -0000

Arthur wrote

> While it's true that digital process has taken over the real world of
imaging
> (product, photography, advertising, daily news), it is also true that it
is
> misplaced to call it "photography."

I beg to differ here - I always understood that 'Photography' was derived
from the latin (greek?) for painting with light.  If we split hairs and
ignore how the transfer of the light is actually done (digital camera v
enlarger v scanner) we still have (broadly) a craft allied to a mechanical
and chemical process.

But the great misfotune to me is that the term 'digital photgraphy has
become  shorthand which covers both the electronic capture of images, ways
of outputting scanned images and the whole field of manipulating images.
It's probably too late now to say 'if only they had been kept separate' but,
to me, the dividing line falls somewhere between the ways in which we
capture and output the image and manipulation and massive distortion of
images to create (as Arthur, calls them "a
> "crime against photography." The worst crime is the digital montage of
> photographic images, which at best is some kind of "illustration"  and at
> worst (and most commonly) simply the latest form of visual and
intellectual
> pollution,

Having started off by differing with Arthur I wholeheartedly agree that much
of the output bears little relation to the sort of image that could be
created by more traditional means - although I have seen some very odd
'creative' work produced in darkrooms - but then I think that's a waste of
my time to look at as well ;_()

I find the problem is that when I mention that I mention 'digital' my film
based output from my Leica (OT at last) and Nikon (dangerously controversial
ROTFLOL) is tarred with the same brush as the wackiest twirled, garish and
multi layered epic from a more 'creative mind ;_()

If it's your 'scene' though go for it and enjoy - it's your hobby after all.

Regards to all - whatever turns you on!!!

Clive