Subject: [Leica] Re: Standalone Still fotos
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 08:47:38 +0000

Alan Hull wrote:

> I realised many years ago the futility of trying to capture the immense power of the
>ocean in a still photograph.

>Its the scale of the thing.  A still foto of a storm on the open ocean
>looks like boating lake.  Honest.

Truth.  I have a painting of Chichester's boat off Cape Horn hanging in
bedroom that does it, but few others.

There is some video from the around the world racing that begins to
capture the awesome power of water.  I've only once been in a storm
(peaking at 65 knots measured on deck) and remember watching the whole
boat disappear in a passing wave and the knotmeter peg at 12 knots in a
26 foot boat and me up to my waist in water in the cockpit.  But the
Leica was below!!

A friend of mine sailed on Steinlager, the 60 foot New Zealand ketch a
while back in the Whitbread.  He did the Cape Horn leg and remembered
driving (15 minute shifts max) the boat with spinnaker up in 50 knots of
wind, 40 foot waves and surfing this 60 foot, 30,000 pound board at over
30 knots.  He said it was the only thing better than sex he had ever
experienced.

donal
Donal Philby
San Diego