Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Standalone Still fotos
From: "Alan Hull" <hull@telia.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 20:33:02 +0100

No loggerheads Roger and Robert,  I made a light hearted comparison
between still and movie scenes using music and Landor as a vehicle.

Most of my photography, at least the stuff I take seriously, is
connected with the marine world.  I realised many years ago the
futility of trying to capture the immense power of the ocean in a still
photograph.

Of the hundreds of stills I have seen, I can recall only two that came
even close to displaying the power of the sea.  One was of a lighthouse
being swept by a large wave, the other was taken from the bridge of the
Battleship Graf Spee during a storm in the South Atlantic.  So I
suppose it is possible.

Its the scale of the thing.  A still foto of a storm on the open ocean
looks like boating lake.  Honest.  A movie scene on the other hand can
do it justice especially with sound, good sound that is.

Alan