Subject: Re: [Leica] Amateurs
From: "Bob Stack" <ticino@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 16:46:30 -0500

Johnny, your comment brings to mind a discussion I had with a well known
"fine art" large format photographer  He is published, represented in a
number of galleries and has lead 15 workshops a year for the past 20 years.
I asked if there were certain types of people who seem to take to fine art
photography most readily.  To paraphrase his answer:  He said, "no, I can't
say who does best, but I can sure say who does worst - "professional"
photographers. They seem to be trying to create something they think will
please an audience, and not what will please themselves".  Having talked
with a number of painters over the years, the idea that you have to please
yourself first, seems to be a common commandment among those whose artistic
(photographic) work ultimately sticks out above the crowd.
Bob