Subject: Re: [Leica] Amateurs
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 08:49:27 -0400

on 26/10/00 11:45 pm, Mike Johnston at michaeljohnston@ameritech.net wrote:

>> I decided right then that starvation and low paying work in the writing and
>> photography business was not my cup of tea. You guys can have it and I will
>> not spoil it for you. --  Regards,  Paul Connet
>

> I almost always advise those who ask--often parents of college-age children
> who for some reason think photography is a safe refuge from real work--that
> the best way to be a photographer is to do well at another profession and be
> an amateur. Amateurism has its pitfalls too, but the advantages are
> considerable.

I had a very salutory experience when I was in my early twenties. I met Nick
Nixon at some opening or party or something and after someone had introduced
us I asked him a bit about his work and (I was young) said: "who do you do
most of your work for". His reply, which I have never forgotten, was...

... "me".

Ever since then I put less stock on becoming a professional photographer (I
can't imagine what I'd have to do as a photographer to earn in a year what I
get paid for a single screenplay) and much more on trying to take
photographs that meant something to "me". Don't get me wrong: I am full of
admiration and respect for *anyone* who can make it to any degree in the
world of professional photography... it must be one of the hardest things in
the world... and in particular to anyone who can square the circle of art v.
daily bread... it's always inspiring that there are so many of you on this
list.

But photography has always had a place for the amateur... that's how it's
started and no doubt that's how (silver halide) photography will finish.
- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

Replies: Reply from "Bob Stack" <ticino@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Amateurs)