Subject: [Leica] Re: Eddie Adams Photo/ Jim Nachtwey in Israel
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 07:05:05 -0700

On 25 Oct 2000, Alan Hull wrote, at least in part:

> To paraphrase Landor.  A still photograph of a single moment in
> time is like a single note in music that means nothing without the
> notes that come before and the notes that come after.
>
> A movie sequence can be compared to a symphany.  A still
> photograph to a toot on a car horn.
>
> Paraphrase?  More like a butchery.  Sorry Landor.

Horsepucky!

The analogy is specious. Yes, a single note has no meaning
because it MUST have other notes to make it music. The still
photograph, however, has subject matter, supporting detail, the
photographer's choice of lighting, contrast, and the mood
dictated by the foregoing. It is complete unto itself and requires
no further support!

Where or where does this fuzzy thinking begin and why do we
let it possess us? I believe it is a sign of a people that have too
much free time. Good grief, I'm retired and have the time, but
still don't sit around and contemplate every interstice of my
navel.

- --
Roger, List-Owner
The LEG (Leica Enthusiasts Mailing List)
http://www.topica.com/lists/leica