Subject: [Leica] Re: Kodak T400CN
From: "David Kieltyka" <daverk@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 23:16:01 -0400

Rob Heyman <rheyman@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> In all the messages I have read on the LUG over the last few
> weeks I have not seen mentioned the Kodak T400CN film. I have
> read of the qualities of Delta 400 in Extol, of Tri-X, of FP4
> and various other film and dev combinations.
>
> I have found T400CN to be a great all-round film for my
> portraits and wedding candids, especially if they are to be
> scanned. I have great respect for the more traditional film
> and dev combinations, but for sheer ease of use and convenience
> I am very happy with the C41 processed films. I must also
> include Ilford XP2 Super, which is a beautiful film to scan.
> They are virtually grainless up to 20x16 and very controllable
> in Photoshop.
>
> Am I missing something? Is there something I should know?

Rob, XP2 Super is my B/W film of choice. (I also use Delta 100 & 3200 and
HP5+, though to a lesser extent.) As you note it scans beautifully, which
for me is an important consideration since I've restricted my darkroom work
for now to the digital realm. But mainly I just like the way it captures
light. Since the images are formed of dye clouds it doesn't have the
archival properties of silver films. The same is true of T400CN and
C41-processed color negative films. But I imagine film scanner technology
will progress to the point where this won't be an issue long before my
negatives start fading.

For something different try processing XP2 Super or T400CN in E6 chemistry.
This should work with the Kodak film, though I've never tried it. You'll get
transparencies with a unique look guaranteed to annoy Erwin's Realists. <g>

- -Dave- (who most certainly values lens sharpness but also recognizes it as
one important element among many)

Replies: Reply from "Rob Heyman" <rheyman@bigpond.net.au> (Re: [Leica] Re: Kodak T400CN)
Reply from "Wilber Jeffcoat" <wilber@jeffcoatphotography.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Kodak T400CN)