Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Nova Processor
From: ken@iisaka.org
Date: 25 Oct 2000 13:54:05 -0700

On Wed, 25 October 2000, Douglas Cooper wrote:

> > Mike Johnston said....
> >
> > Nova (imported by JOBO last I looked) makes a slot processor for
> > black-and-white. It's quite convenient for people who don't print very
> > often, too, as it will keep chemicals fresh for a week and you can print
> > with no setup time. It's not terribly expensive, either--it doesn't have
> > temp controls like the color slot processors.
>
> I'm not sure what kind my lab has -- I rent a darkroom for the (slightly exorbitant) price of $13 an
> hour.
>
> Do the processors give results as good as trays?
>
> I'm wondering if I can, for instance, produce artist quality prints using Ilford Warmtone RC with this
> high-end machine.  Btw, Mike, do use glossy, pearl, matte?

I use an 8x10 quad for BW and Cibachrome.  BW chemicals last for weeks, and I kept a batch of Cibachrome for almost a month with no ill effect.  I consider it to be the single most important purchase that increased the productivity for me.  With two children, I am lucky to have 15 minutes to make a couple of prints, and zero set-up time allows me to do that.

I wouldn't call them inexpensive, especially considering the build quality (rather shoddy).  I wish they made a non-temp-controlled model in 16x20.