Subject: [Leica] Re: Rocks & Bullets
From: Bill Lawlor <wvl@marinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 12:44:43 -0700

Jesse wrote..
So the Israelis shoot to kill, Bill? Really? I don't think that the Israelis
are completely right, but you didn't see the Palestinians raising an outcry in
horror at the lynching, did you?........

Jesse, please don't read anything partisan into my remarks. This is
certainly not the forum to debate the oldest running animosity in the
world. My intent was to join in the commentary about the effects of
journalists on events. Many have said the journalists' presence may
sometimes incite staged violence; I said their presence as witnesses
may sometimes inhibit some violence. In fact, the Hearst papers
started the Spanish American War almost singel-handedly and the
efforts of police and armies to exclude journalists from many
conflicts suggests the bad guys are less likely to commit some
atrocities under public scrutinty.

Note the use of "some", "may", and "sometimes".

If my intent is not clear please use my personal email for reply and
not submit the whole LUG to an Arab-Israel, Armenian-Turk,
Hutu-Tutsi, or other insoluble debate.

Thanks, Bill Lawlor

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Rocks & Bullets)