Subject: Re: [Leica] Black paint classic and James Nachtwey
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 23:10:48 -0400

on 22/10/00 8:05 pm, B. D. Colen at bdcolen@earthlink.net wrote:

> << Here's the real problem here.....This is THE photo that most accurately
> conveys the reality of the moment, NOT the photo the various shooters -
> including Nachtwey - are making.
>
> Susan Sontag, where are you?;-)
>>>

> That was my reaction, as well.  Media events are one thing, but violence for
> the benefit of the cameras is something else again.
>
> Joe Sobel

If anyone really thinks that if the photographers didn't turn up the
israelis and palestinians would just shake hands and go home they have
serious problems with reality. I'm grateful the media are there. The idea
that kids risk bullets to throw stones for the camera is truly bananas. PJs
move in packs like this in these situations for two very simples reasons...
they can watch each other's backs, and the picture is good from there.

What is almost funny about the above reaction is that no-one stopped to
wonder what was going on where THIS picture was taken from. Was there a big
media pack? I wonder.

I also wonder if Susan Sontag ever found a helmet and a flak jacket
necessary in the practice of her chosen profession?
- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Black paint classic and James Nachtwey)