Subject: Re [Leica] Classic M6 or M6 TTL - which do you prefer
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 10:08:36 -0400

>My fear is that the newer M6's might not be
>of the same quality as the old or that squeezing a few more circuit
boards
>into an M6 would cause unknown electrical problems.

Bob,

They didn't squeeze anything in. They raised the top 2mm.

(Or is this satire too?)

Assuming it's not, I think this is a case where newer is better. For one

thing I disagree with Jon's comments about never using flash. There are
times when it's necessary for many of us, and it can be done well even
on camera. The titchy SF 20 probably has it's place but it's not the
only compatible unit. I sing the praises of the Quantum T2 which is
powerful, TTL compatible, and which lets you shoot bare bulb. The
downside is that it kind of dwarfs the little M6 since the body of the
flash is maybe 30% bigger than a Vivitar 285, and it requires a mounting

frame and Turbo battery. On the other hand, for times when you don't
want to use flash, the TTL's more sensitive meter over the classic would

seem to be useful to me. As  to Jons comments about the shutter dial.
It's plastic? Really? I find that hard to believe but he might be right,

but assuming it's not actually flimsy (which I'm pretty sure it's not)
how does this affect anything? Personally I like the bigger dial and
find that it's easier to use than the old one and I like the direction
compatibility with the meter led's. I found the smaller dial so fiddly
that I tended to set it by eye and then didn't change it much, so even
though I have two bodies with dials that go in different directions I
just use them differently. Lastly, the third led of the TTL is reason
enough to get that camera.

And lastly, lastly. According to one of Leica's technicians and other
sources, and to my subjective impression, the TTL has the smoother
shutter release with much less of a two stage feeling than the earlier
M6.

Simon Stevens