Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Late night musings after a long but interesting day.
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 14:28:34 -0400

Mark-
Does it seem I am picking on you?!?!
You writ large:

"People want to shoot with the old stuff I say fine but why put a negative
spin
on what Leica is evolving into now?"
mark rabiner

I say sure- some of us like the old stuff, as it does the job, but I am not
adverse to what Leica and the rest of the world is evolving into!
Some people mistakenly believe that evolution means that, for example, the
biological emergence of "better" organisms, or more highly specialized
organisms- yet we still have frogs and lizards- even after several millions
of years of evolution- and even our so called Higher organisms often depend
on the lowly bacterium to exist!

So Leica evolves, and brings out APS and digital cameras, there will always
be a use, for the forseeable future, for the likes of M6s in all there
versions, and people using them. There will be people using the old Leica
stuff, probably until they quit making 35mm film!

Sure, in the far flung reaches of our imagination, we may shudder to think
of our beloved Leicas and Rolleis being relegated to a similar niche
occupied by Neanderthals, and dinosuars, but, C'est la vie!

I enjoy playing with the Digilux Zoom, and would have considered getting a
newer 4.3 megapixel one, but Leica reduced the price to $699, and that sort
of reduction portends a newer model- probably one with 10 or 12 megapixels!!
Who knows!

I don't fear the future- if there comes a time when I can get the same
quality image on a digital camera that I get with Tri-X and a Leica M6 and
Summicron or lmar- then I will consider putting the old stuff on a shelf
along with all the 620 and 127 cameras I have there now! The digilux is fun
for family snaps, and is great for getting shots to widely dispersed family
via the net, but the Old Stuff still does a creditable job...

In short ( I know you were waitng for this....) It's not so much a negative
spin on the direction Leica is going, it seems that we have the fear of the
unknown, and dread not know where Leica is going.... What frightens me is
that they perhaps don't know where they are going!

Dan ( slowly evolving into a nebulous concept of what a photographer should
be! )Post

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Late night musings after a long but interesting day.)
Message from Ken Wilcox <wilcox@tir.com> ([Leica] Re: Late night musings after a long but interesting day.)
Message from "Mark Rutledge" <markrut@ticnet.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Late night musings after a long but interesting day.)