Subject: [Leica] Black paint classic
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 23:47:41 -0500

> So, if they were to offer, say, an M6 "classic" in some reconfiguration,
> perhaps even
> in black paint, at a reasonable price (like the LHSA edition) - how many here
> would
> be tempted? If we ask loudly enough and in numbers, we may get it!

I find myself in the rather odd position of not being particularly
interested in any of Leica's current products. I do like black paint and the
.58 finder, but I'd rather not have a TTL--I'm used to the smaller shutter
dial and the traditional direction, and I find the taller top plate
disconcerting. I'm not saying the TTL's worse--I'm sure it's very nice. Just
that I'd rather not own one.

I'm also interested in a couple of the older lenses more than the new ones,
although I'll probably end up getting a 35/2 ASPH at least for a while, just
to get to know it. Again, no judgement implied, just that it tends to be
older things that happen to attract my interest.

On the R side (which I'm not currently shooting, but I've just bought an R
lens so I will be again soon), I'm totally, completely uninterested in the
R8--again, I'm sure it's a lovely camera for those who are interested--it's
just very definitely not my cup of tea. (Yes, I have shot with one, albeit
briefly.) I think I would not be interested in using an R8 if it came my way
for free. It just doesn't suit my tastes and my style. So, I find myself
looking at older R cameras.

A classic M6 in black paint would suit me perfectly. Particularly if it had
three framelines (35, 50, 90) instead of 6 and no capability for the motor
drive, thus restoring the brass gears and the silken feel of the M4.

For this reason (i.e., that I want it), no product of this description will
_ever_ see the light of day <g>.

But I *would* like to see something...subversive. Unabashedly utilitarian.
Anti-collector. Again, nothing against the collectors. I just get a bit
overstuffed with all the limited-edition, carriage-trade marketing gimmicks,
one after the next. It's all so damned...precious. I know, I know, it's what
they feel they need to do to survive, and that's fine with me. I just don't
feel I'm being served.

It would be nice if there were a workingman's Leica.

It does kind of bug me that I don't really covet any of the products Leica
is currently selling. I don't know why it should, but there it is.

Late night musings after a long but interesting day.

- --Mike

Replies: Reply from Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net> (Re: [Leica] Late night musings after a long but interesting day.)
Reply from Ken Wilcox <wilcox@tir.com> ([Leica] Re: Late night musings after a long but interesting day.)
Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> ([Leica] Late night musings after a long but interesting day.)