Subject: [Leica] Late night musings after a long but interesting day.
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 22:55:27 -0700

Mike Johnston wrote:
><Snip>
> It would be nice if there were a workingman's Leica.
>
> It does kind of bug me that I don't really covet any of the products Leica
> is currently selling. I don't know why it should, but there it is.
>
> Late night musings after a long but interesting day.
>
> --Mike

It would have been news if you were, Mike!!!
This has always been your position.
You were never much interested in what Solms had to offer.
I had thought perhaps with you coming back to the list this might have changed.
Such statements like "I don't really covet any of the products Leica is
currently selling." Is kinda bad vibes man!!! TGIF! So what old stuff then? Into
screw mount? Shooting with a Leica at all? Throw us a bone!
Gary Todoroff asked you this yesterday offhandedly, I'm just being direct.

Most of us on this here Leica Users Group here have more than a passing interest
in what Solms is coming up with.
The new compact 28 Summicron Asph is a major reason to get into Leica.
And with new miniwinder and .58 body Leica cameras are going to be more commonly
run into and used.
People will save thier hard earned money and buy them.

Hey some of us think the bayonet mount is an abomination and like a camera which
fits in a pocket.

Is Leica really just not worth it?
Too much damn money for an honest working man to spend when a Pentax will take
perfectly good pictures?
Plenty of people feel this way which is why they are not on the LUG and why they
don't waist their hard earned cash on such rarified oddities from Solms, Germany.

Leica is of course a living small quality company which is doing well.
And I LIKE VERY Much what they are doing.
I am VERY excited by recent developments.
It's taken me 7 years to build up a complete modern working Leica M system which
i feel puts me in a better position to produce quality images than the masses of
pro photogs using Canons and Nikons and other SLR's.
Now I'm really for screw mount for my personal work.
I think they are jewels, the old glass interestingly esoteric but the new glass
Leica is NOW making for LTM (by special order) just a tad more interesting for
quality image making.
mark rabiner
who is getting incredibly great images with his new 90 apo asph.
This lens feels great, looks great, and does great.
Took a while to put the money together.
I'm not at all against YOU Mike. I'm just FOR Leica. Lay your cards on the table.

Replies: Reply from "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org> ([Leica] Re: Late night musings after a long but interesting day.)