Subject: [Leica] Wedding Photography (longish)
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 19:54:08 -0400

Hi William,

Thanks for your comments. I very much appreciate the input.

>My wife's cousin got married in July and had a horrible experience with
their photographer. This guy was so into making "art" >(some kind of
human/environment/landscape/portraiture) that he forgot why he was there
in the first place. It was all about him > (SNIP) he took the bride and
groom away from the reception for a little over three hours while he did
his "art" - time they >should have been spending with their guests.

I agree that this sounds horrible, but isn't this exactly what candids
does away with? My idea is to remove posing altogether if possible and
make the photographer invisible, the person who records what happened,
not created and ordered it. That means that the couple would be able to
spend -all- of their time with their guests.

>Remember it's not about _you_ making photographs, it's about what
paying clients expect and want.

I agree.But I live in a big city (4 million in the metropolitan
Washington-Baltimore area) where there are rather a lot of photographers
to choose from and most currently offer the structured, standard type of
photography. I'm just hoping I can market this to the tiny niche who
might be interested in something a little different and, of course, they
would be told in advance and presumably hire me for this reason.
Assuming that the niche really exists.

Simon Stevens