Subject: Re: [Leica] Steady as she goes there, lad [y]
From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 09:12:18 -0700

Rick Dykstra wrote:

> about.
>
> Did you see it coming?  Did you ask Pierre to 'go the slip'?  SLR or
> rangefinder?  Time to focus or just a snap with fingers crossed?<<<<<<<

Hi Rick,

This is about as close as I can get to how! ;-)

When I cover a personality and they're on the move in crowds and changing
room to room, I try to work within 15-20 feet and closer if the situation
permits. Change exposures as I move before a picture happens, then the
camera is always at the correct setting or nearly so. I keep the focus
position about 10  feet.

So when Trudeau slid down the railing, I didn't see him start as I was
hurrying to get ahead of him and outside with the others.  However,  I
heard the laughter and I turned, there he was sliding toward me & I had
time for three
frames... sans RapidWinder in those days.  The first frame was the keeper,
the other two were out of focus as he was right on top of me.  And that's
how it happened. :-)

Film...Tri-x.   Exposure? Aperture?  Who keeps track? waste of picture
taking time! Unless it's essential "TO THE PHOTOGRAPHIC EFFECT REQUIRED!"
;-)

ted
Victoria, Canada