Subject: Re: [Leica] Which Viewfinder?
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 08:42:35 +1000

Hi Terry,

Sounds like you're going to have a fun time. There's many variables here.

One of the advantages of Leica M cameras is being able to see around the
outside of the framelines for the lens in use; to see what's happening
around the picture area during composition. However, the utility of this
feature decreases with increasing viewfinder magnification. It's also mainly
of use with people photography, the M's ideal application. So, will this be
a factor for you?

Will you be wearing glasses while shooting?  If so, your eye's stand-off
from the viewfinder will reduce the available field of view, exacerbating
the effect described above.  As such, the lower magnifications will allow a
wider field of view.  Using a diopter correction lens helps retain most of
the camera's field of view, but 'glasses on - glasses off' can become a
pain.  The suitability of this solution can depend on whether you are 'blind
freddy' without glasses, or just a little blurry.  Using a diopter can make
right eye viewing easier, because the left eye out there in the open is
uncorrected, and your brain will favour the right eye's corrected view.

Which lenses will you use most?  For general photography, probably the 35,
the smaller 50, with a bit of the 90.  Have you considered getting the 50/2
instead of the 2.8?  Lens speed tends to come in handy, although the 2.8
would be small, light and fun.

Here's a thought.  Gather up all your loose change and find a shop that will
toss in a second body if you order the first body and the six lenses in one
hit.  Use that buying leverage while you've got it!

Oh, and I'd get a 0.72 and a 0.85, noting the range of lenses on your list.

But, if you were to forego the Noctilux (which may well be your least used
lens and one you'll certainly notice when it's in the bag being carried
around) you could then afford a 24/2.8 Asph and/or the new 28/2, which might
then make the 0.58 a more useful body in place of the 0.72.

What fun, to be planning a new system like you are.

Regards

Rick Dykstra

Replies: Reply from "Terry Sham" <tsham@netvigator.com> (Re: [Leica] Which Viewfinder?)