Subject: Re: [Leica] Flashing
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 09:07:33 +1000

Johnny Deadman wrote:

> Does anyone know of a flash gun which offers multiple flashes. I mean, you
> hit the shutter and it goes bap bap bap bap at say 1/15 second intervals?
> That would be a neat thing.

Metz 50 MZ-5.  Allows up to 30 flashes at up to 50 per second, programmable.
Longest interval is one second.

How not to use it (real life story).  Was out camping in Australian Alps
with young lady.  Wanted to try everything (with new R8 and Metz 50 that is,
not with new girlfriend), so, at night (very dark) set camera on tripod with
multiflash set for 4 shots at maximum interval.  By torch light I composed
the shot so we were standing apart at left and right of 50mm view, at about
5 meters distance.  With the first flash we would be looking away from each
other into the distance, for the second we'd take a step in, turn heads and
notice each other, for the third flash we'd take another step towards each
other, for the fourth we'd take a final step, meet and kiss.  All on the one
frame!

We rehearsed a bit and then I set the R8's timer off. The first flash fired,
then the others came quicker than expected.  Really dark in between mind
you. After the third flash we came together for the big kiss, but shit it
was dark and her forehead smashed into my nose and mouth.  We saw stars! And
then the fourth flash!  Great shot, with each of us appearing four times,
getting closer, and in the middle with our heads pulled back in pain and
shock!

Tried it differently later, using multiple exposure on the camera instead of
multi flash.  Was able to use the full power of the flash that way too.

:^)     (Note the off center nose)

Regards

Rick Dykstra

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Flashing)