Subject: Re: LTM cameras, was: Re: [Leica] Yet Another Newbie
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 09:54:18 -0400

Stan, The Man!
I apologise! When I say "LTM", I mean, LEICA thread mount! All others are
"Cameras with Leica thread mount".... and I was just not clear in the
distinction! What I sould have said, was that Barnack Cameras are Leicas
that have thread mounts, and include all of them, up to and including the
IIIf cameras. I  know that the majority of IIIg cameras were thread mount-
there are rumoured prototypes of those with a basyonat mount, but the camera
itself shares so many features of the M3, that I always thought of it a the
major departure from the ones I though of as BArnack cameras!
I imagine that some consider the Barnacks as being those made up to the IIIa
or IIIb and were made up of pieces without the cast aluminum chassis.... Of
that, I am not sure!
I did have a IIIa, and to be honest with you, I found it no less sturdy than
the IIIc, or IIIf bodies, but then- I wasn't jumping out of burning
dirigibles, nor was I hunkered down in a free fire zone where the body would
be stressed to the extreme!!! About the only stress my LTMs get is a gently
occasional stroking from me, while I mutter, "WHO's Yo DADDY?1"
(That was an 'inside' joke- and I'll explain it off list to you!!!)
Glad to see you still hanging in here! I would sign off in Polish, but
despite my efforts to learn how to ask for food and beer in as many
languages as I can manage, the only Polish I know is- "Polski Wyrob", which
I read off my pickle jar!!!
Best of light to you!
Dan